Ontario ice storms can cause a lot of damage. When spring shows up, the yard waste and debris from the carnage emerges from under the mounds of snow and needs to be cleaned up.
Residents in the GTA have some work to do so here are some great tips from Halton Container that you’ll find handy when considering your clean up project when you begin to clear the branches, stumps, twigs and garden waste away.
1) Make a plan. Prep for the project by acquiring the right tools. You’ll need overalls, garden gloves, a chain saw, gasoline, a rake or two, and miscelleous cutting and trimming equipment.
2) Hire a dumpster rental so that the debris can be place in a single container and trucked away. Phone ahead to book your one week rental.
3) Hire help. Moving large branches and fallen limbs can be heavy work. Ensure that you have a safety plan. Don’t push yourself too much at once. (Halton Container (or Purple DumpsterM) can assist with extra hands, call us and we’ll do it for you!)
4) Drink water. Cooler weather is no excuse to not drink fluids as you exert yourself physically.
5) Watch for debris that might have fallen on hydro or utility wires. Call the utility for help and advice if that is the case.
5)Bag the little stuff. Once the big debris has been removed and put into your skip or mini-bin for removal, neatly clean up the small stuff with a rake and put into heavy duty yard waste bags so it doesn’t spill and get caught by the wind.
6) Be opportunistic. Use the opportunity to remove anything in your house, garage or basement that you don’t want. It can go into your dumpster too. If there is extra space in the container use it, especially if you are under the included tonnage amount.
7) Stay Safe. If you use a chain saw, read all the safety procedures and keep animals and small kids away from the work site to maintain safety for all.
8) Contract the heavy stuff. Often city crews will not collect large tree limbs bigger than 15 cm (six inches) so be sure to put these in your rental bin so your contractor (like Halton Container or Purple Dumpster) can haul it away. For Halton area info, see this ice storm cleanup link.
If you have any questions, call us at (905) 769-0387 and we’d be happy to advise you on how to proceed safely and successfully.